Thursday, December 9, 2010

Depression

I just want to start off by saying I am not a health care provider and I have no medical degree. Everything I am about to post is of my own opinion from personal experience or research I have done online or in books.

This may not be the best first blog but this is something that weighs heavily on my heart. I have struggled with depression all of my adult life. I have been both on anti-depressants and off in and out of counseling and a combination of the two. I have fibromyalgia so this will be the continuing pattern of my life. Such as the person I am I have done lots of research and keep on top of my moods and try and listen to my husband and others close to me with they say something needs to change. They know the red flags and we all have the same goals for me to be healthy. 

Depression I think it it is taboo in some social circles, in my opinion, especially Christan apparently that is just not acceptable ( mind you I am not stating all, just some). Anti-depressants, under the supervision of a licenced  Doctor sometimes are needed. Depression isn't just feeling down for a time. It is a lack of loving life. It is losing the want to function and do what God has designed you to do. Losing the joy in what you once loved. . It is sad that people have put such bad connotations with antidepressants that people fear getting help. Yes there are risks, but there are also risks for not getting help and at some point the benefits way out weigh the risks.

Anti depressants are not a cure all. They are best used coupled counseling so you can get to the root of the problems and learn coping techniques.

If left untreated depression can be fatal. Don't ignore the warning signs be willing to reach to a Friend and recognize when you need help. Don't do it for anyone but you, believe me your life is worth saving, one man on a cross thought so 2,000 years ago and nothing has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment